M365 Changelog: OneDrive sync client will no longer update or be supported on macOS Sierra 10.12 and macOS High Sierra 10.13
MC276032 – If your organization is not using macOS you can safely disregard this message.
The OneDrive team is committed to bringing you the best, most secure experience possible across your devices. As such, Microsoft is ending support for the OneDrive Desktop application (sync client) on macOS Sierra 10.12 and macOS High Sierra 10.13 and focusing their resources on new technologies and supported operating systems. Going forward, only the three most recent versions of macOS will be supported. When a new major version of macOS is released, Microsoft will support the new version and the previous two versions.
Note: Both macOS Sierra 10.12 and macOS High Sierra 10.13 have been out of Apple’s mainline support since September 2019 and November 2020, respectively.
- Timing: September 10th, 2021
- Action: review and update impacted machines as appropriate.
How this affects your organization:
How users will be impacted after this change has rolled out:
- Existing OneDrive sync client installations on unsupported operating systems will stop updating. These clients will continue to run, but their functionality will no longer be tested. It is not advised to continue to run on these unsupported operating systems.
- New installations on unsupported operating systems will be blocked.
- Bugs and issues found on or specific to unsupported operating systems will no longer be investigated or fixed.
What you need to do to prepare:
To ensure a smooth transition Microsoft recommends that you upgrade machines accordingly. They recommend you upgrade to macOS Mojave 10.14 or above. For the best user experience and longest support lifecycle, Microsoft recommends upgrading to macOS Big Sur 11.0 or above.
More in OneDrive
M365 Changelog: (Updated) OneDrive sync app will automatically configure accounts
Jun 14, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Large Folder Delete on OneDrive and SharePoint Document Libraries on Web
Jun 10, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Microsoft Stream: Improve audio quality with Noise suppression for Stream (on SharePoint)
Jun 9, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Pin shared libraries to Quick Access & Recent document libraries list in OneDrive for Business
May 27, 2022 | Petri Staff
M365 Changelog: Mover retirement of specific cloud migration scenarios
May 25, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
M365 Changelog: (Updated) Teams Meeting Recordings Auto-Expiration in OneDrive and SharePoint
May 24, 2022 | Rabia Noureen
Most popular on petri